My work is a response to the situations I find myself in, as i seek to challenge myself both as a person and as an artist; I am innately curious about the world I live in and those with whom I share this planet. It is complex, baffling, beautiful, surreal, heart-breaking and many, many more things. Thus, the act of photographing is an act of exploration, questioning, sense-making. The resulting images are documents of that act.
Much of my work consists of self-initiated research-led projects created in places far afield such as China, Japan, Syria and Morocco. I am drawn to travel and put myself in unusual situations, to meet strangers and experience different cultures and ways of life. To find out more. My work aims to tell stories and engage the viewer at an emotional as well as cognitive level. Equally, my work is about questions much more than it is about answers.
I am a contributing member of Millennium Images and Alamy Images.
- Work & Workers - Side Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. Group exhibition. 22.06.2019 to 08.09.2019
- Homelands: Documenting Centuries of Cham Migration. Solo exhibition. Oriental Museum, Durham, UK. 01.02.2019 to 16.09.2019.
- About the North: Imagined Dialogues - Side Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. Group exhibition. 22.06.2018 to 09.09.2018
- Homelands: Documenting Centuries of Cham Migration. Solo exhibition. International Islamic University Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur 01.04.2018 to 31.04.2018
- Nissan 30 Years On (multimedia project with writer Rachel Cochrane) - Washington Arts Centre, Washington, UK. 2 October - 4 November 2017.
- Nissan 30 Years On (multimedia project with writer Rachel Cochrane) - Monkwearmouth Station Museum, Sunderland, UK. 21 July - 6 November 2016.
- Nissan 30 Years On (multimedia project with writer Rachel Cochrane) - South Shields Museum and Art Gallery, South Shields, UK. 7 November 2015 - 23 January 2016.
- Picture The Poet, a touring exhibition from the National Portrait Gallery. I contributed a portrait of North East poet Kate Fox. Sunderland Museum and Winter Garden, Sunderland, UK. 19 September - 29 November 2015.
- Nissan 30 Years On (multimedia project with writer Rachel Cochrane) - Oriental Museum, Durham, UK. 12 June - 18 October 2015.
- Carlisle Photo Festival, Carlisle, UK. Images from the series "Syria Before Civil War."
- Carlisle Photo Festival - Carlisle, UK. Images from the series "Casablanca: Deconstruction, Reconstruction."
- Advent and Adventure: Group exhibition at the Holy Biscuit Gallery - Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, December 2012. Honourable Mention.
- One in Five: Photographs from China - Oriental Museum, Durham, UK. 22 June - 16 September 2012.
- Sunderland Art Prize - Sunderland, UK. Curated by Departure Foundation
- The Borders Project - Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. Curated by Situation Rhubarb.
- In Pictures exhibition - The Guardian, London, UK.
- Quire Exhibition - Sunderland, UK.
- Fujifilm Student Photographer of the Year Awards - London, UK. Shortlisted.
- RAW Photographers exhibition - theprintspace, London, UK.
- Urban Wildscapes, by Anna Jorgensen and Richard Keenan, published by Routledge. ISBN-10: 0415581060. I was commissioned to shoot 4 images for a chapter on wildspaces in children's literature.
- Desert Island, by Toby Phips Lloyd, Simon James and James Sebright, published by Institute of Advanced Study, 2013. I was commissioned to document the work of artist Toby Phips Lloyd.